My Posts: Sort by Decade

Sunday 1 January 2017

Auditory Abominations: "Twitch" - Bif Naked

And yet another song in the "Bad song from a good artists" category.

Bif Naked is a Canadian rock musician with some songs more rock like, such as "I Love Myself Today", and others a bit more pop punk, like "Tango shoes", and this one is definitely more pop punk, but that was not the deciding factor of this being my next blog review, which is especially great because I don't have to talk about pop punk in the 2000s yet. In fact this song has been on my list since I started doing these blogs, and since the last song I looked at had several major issues, this time I'm going to look at a song that really only has one major issue, but oh man is it a big one.

The opening guitar riff is very... Teenage pop punk style, it just sounds very I don't know, odd I guess, but hey if My Chemical Romance has taught us anything it's that opening riffs are not the be all and end all of a song, so hey maybe there could be some good in this song after all, right?

Bif also sounds very teenage on this track, which makes her sound very...
Gwen Stefani, who was actually around the same age as her when this song came out. Yeah, the song really sounds like teenage rock which would be fine, except that it sounds so, odd. I can describe it, it just has a weird overall sound to it. It's like Bif Naked here wanted to be an Avril Lavigne or other pop punk princess, when her best songs are usually the more rock sounding ones like "Moment of Weakness".

If that was the only problem with this song I probably would not review it, but the lyrics also are nothing to celebrate. The vocal performance is very clear so there is no issue hearing the lyrics, but the lyrics are mostly just Bif sing-talking, or talk-singing I guess, about her boyfriend, or something, right after she says things about this boy she immediately says that "He has a girlfriend/she is my toy!" but then the chorus states that she is the only one making him smile.

Since I'm still single, I don't really know the "it's complicated" feeling of love, but I don't think that's what she was going for. In all honesty, I don't know what she was going for, it's just her talk-singing about her boyfriend and that's it.

Oh and if you're wondering why the song is called twitch, it's because the chorus states "Sometimes he'll twitch for no reason/it's just a twitch and it's part of his style." I don't get it, I really don't get it.

I disliked this song when I first heard it, but when I was younger it just made me feel awkward, but now that I am actually analyzing this song, I find that I don't like the teenage rock sound, the lyrics that make little sense, the uninspired sounding pop punk instrumentals which sound like something a teenager would play as their second riff after "Smoke on the Water". I guess the teenage rock sound is part of the style of the song, but I honestly don't find it to appealing. If I want teen rock I'll listen to "Sk8er Boi", wow anybody else remember that song?

Oh well, I'm the Entity of Darkness and, I guess listen to a better song of hers, I really have nothing to end this on.

No comments:

Post a Comment