My Posts: Sort by Decade

Wednesday 18 January 2017

Ace Audio: "Goodbye Earl" - Dixie Chicks


It's sometimes amazing the things we hold on to as we grow older. For me, I'll never forget sitting in my Mom's car just listening to whatever song she had playing, and although I don't remember every song that I heard, I remember quite a few and they still stick with me today. "Goodbye Earl" is one of those songs, I remember it quite a bit, and although it's not one of those songs I actively go out to listen to, I still find it an enjoyable song, but let's be fair here, my taste in music has changed quite a bit from that time I was sitting in my Mom's car, so let's take a look and see if I have to say goodbye to this song.

First, the opening instrumentals, and I have no idea what that kinda keyboard sounding... sound is, but I love it, it actually reminds me a lot of the music for Spyro. The rest of the instrumentals have a kind of rock, kind of pop, kind of country sound which is nice. I like hearing a song that can easily fit into multiple separate genres.

This song tells a story about Mary Anne and Wanda, two best friends who go on different paths, one searches through the town and finds a man, who becomes quite abusive after marriage. So of course, she and her best friend work out the obvious plan of killing the bastard. I'd make the "Boy, that escalated quickly" joke, but no, and when you hear the lyrics, you can see why I find that this is, not acceptable nor moral, but... Well, if you find the solution wrong you should at least see the truth in the fact that there may not have been another solution.

The lyrics do an amazing job of describing the abuse Wanda went through, telling about how she had to hide her bruises and how Earl, the man she found, went right through a restraining order and put her in the hospital. The song also goes in the right direction in not having the two leads get caught in the end, it really does make it look more like the right decision. I also like how she actually went for a divorce and restraining order before hand, which does make the options quite limited. Granted, the scenario is a bit black and white, but this is more for black comedic purposes.

The instrumentals really do remind me of the soundtrack to the first three Spyro games, or at least the second one, and the Spyro games have some of my favourite video game soundtracks ever, probably only rivaled by the classic Mega Man Games. I also like Natalie Maines vocal performance, it really does sound southern, which I will be honest, one of my favourite accents, not really top ten, but top twenty at least. Of course Emily and Martie also shine with some vocal harmonies on this song.

The bridge is a nice transition to the chorus, and I do like the emphasis on the certain words. The chorus itself is quite upbeat despite the first chorus is literally the two drugging or poisoning Earl and wrapping him up in a tarp, wow, I should not have been listening to this as a kid. Seriously though, I can't help but enjoy the upbeat sound of the chorus, it really does show the juxtaposition between the lyrics and subject, and the music and performance. Yes, I am using that word properly.

For a late 90's country song, not only do I find that I love this song, but I find that it holds up quite nicely. I love the vocal performance, instrumentals and the lyrics. Really, I love this song, and I really do wonder what the rest of the album sounds like... After Metallica folks, after them.

Also, I should probably mention that I, and the Dixie Chicks for that matter, don't advocate murder, not even the pre-meditated kind. However, the same can not be said for getting even.

I'm the Entity of Darkness and I think I'm ready for another abomination.
Wait... Did I post any links in this blog? I did not, Well, that is a first!

No comments:

Post a Comment