My Posts: Sort by Decade

Thursday 5 January 2017

Auditory Abominations: "Nothing's Gonna Change My Love For You" - Glenn Mederios

And thus, we take another trip to the 1980s, the only decade that is simultaneously one of the best and one of the worst decades for music, so far the only one because the 2010s is still not over.

What makes the 80s such a strange decade is all the one hit wonders that came and went from that time, sure there are the likes of Iron Butterfly and Barry McGuire in the 60s, and there is also groups like Jars of Clay and in some respects Aurelio Voltaire in the more modern era. The 80s on the other hand, oh boy there was, just off the top of my head, Aha, A Flock of Seagulls, Midnight Oil, Devo, Dexy's Midnight Runners, Pseudo Echo, Will to Power, The Vapors, Soft Cell, Twisted Sister, Wall of Voodoo, Bruce Willis, Eddie Murphy, The Psychedelic Furs, Living in a Box, even technically Rainbow, and almost none of their songs sound like anything else, and trust me, a lot of them were not great, but I think this may be the worst of the bunch.

Technically, this guy isn't a one hit wonder, he had one other hit, but you know I don't think a lot of people really care or know about that song so my point still stands. This guy is Glenn Mederios, a Hawaiian singer who got to record this song for winning a contest and just out of luck, someone happened to play it while in the mainland states and word of mouth spread quickly making this song a hit, the funny thing is you think I'm kidding. However, being honest that probably is the only way this song could've ever become popular.

The song is essentially the filler you would find on Karaoke Machines with very little actual songs on them. It especially starts that way with the slow synth and a saxophone. The instrumentals don't make me think of anything other than pre-set beat and karaoke night embarrassment.

Glenn himself sounds like Lionel Richie with a touch of nasal, and I'm not a big fan of Lionel Richie, so take what I say here with a grain of salt but, he is a better vocalist than Glenn Mederios.

You may notice that I have actually little to really say about either aspect of the song, and that is mostly because that is all they are, bland and dull, like what do you really expect me to say? It is not a bland like "Afternoon Delight" where there is a lot to talk about because of the time period it came out in and the lyrical content, it's more a bland like "We Built This City" except that song also was a little bit obnoxious, this is just boring.

Even the lyrics aren't interesting, about the same as "You complete me, completely vague woman that I love.", you know the type of song Bo Burnham made fun of with "Repeat Stuff", which incidentally is not only a better song, also a funny song, which I'm only writing as a way to remind myself of the next abomination I have to do.

Really, the only interesting thing about this song is the awfully boring music video that looks as though it is missing the karaoke lyrics near the bottom of the screen. Other than that though, the song is painfully boring, even when Glenn puts "power" in his vocals it does nothing except make me appreciate Lionel Richie.

So, yeah, a boring song. Which considering my next review, quite honestly may actually be necessary. I'm the Entity of Darkness and, leave it to the Brits to give a musical career to a character that nobody liked, that is what's next.

No comments:

Post a Comment