My Posts: Sort by Decade

Wednesday 4 January 2017

Ace Audio: "Time" - Pink Floyd

Very rarely do songs really "Speak" to me, I mean there are songs that have messages and themes I can get behind such as "BYOB" and "Eyes Wide Open", but neither of those songs are really songs that really hit me with how poignant they are, but Pink Floyd's Time does.

Time is not my favourite Pink Floyd song, but I would be lying if I said it wasn't in my top 5, in fact it may be my third favourite followed by "Comfortably Numb". To me, "Time" is one of those Masterpiece Songs that is pretty much perfect and can be enjoyed to anyone of any generation. I've already done one of these songs before with "The Sound of Silence", and normally I wouldn't do a song like that on this blog, but I don't think this song get's the recognition it deserves as a masterpiece.

To be fair, my only nitpick is at the beginning of the song with the bells and alarms, but when they fade out it opens with nice instrumentals. That heavy bass especially gets me hooked, and the keyboard that accompanies it is pretty nice as well, whatever the ticking thing is in the background is slightly annoying, but the song only gets better from here.

"The Dark Side of the Moon" dealt with concepts about greed, mental illness, war and the passage of time, which is obviously what this song is about. Very rarely have I ever found a song with lyrics that hit me hard, and these lyrics do. One of my favourite lyrics of the song is "And then one day you find ten years have gone behind you" which very often I find, describe how time moves fast for my life, like as I am writing this it is the beginning of 2017, and on New Years I was literally thinking about how the year just flew by, Father Time is a strange being. My other favourite line of the song is "The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older / Shorter of breath and one day closer to death." Which again can be very true, not often do we notice how time effects other things, only us.

As much as I love the lyrics, the vocal performance is just as good. David Gilmour has a great voice for this track, although it doesn't sound as raspy as someone like Barry McGuire, they still sound as though the singer has been through a lot and has stood through time, and Richard Wright does some great vocal work on the bridges as well, being a lot smoother.

The instrumentals on this song are also great, with a rock sound in the beginning and main verses that compliment the vocal work very well, and then changing into a slower sound with a choir of "Oooh"s. The instrumental work compliments the vocal performances beautifully and the solos as well are great, seriously Gilmour is a very talented guitarist, but very few people talk about what a talent he is behind the instrument.

The final bit of the song is a completely different tone, more like the track "Breathe (in the Air)" prior to the album, but the instrumentals transition into it nicely and it does have some rather nice lyrics. The overall tone of the song does seem to be "effected by time" with the more rock sounding "morning" parts of the song being the main verses, and the "nighttime" portions of the song being the bridges, and then ending with the final rest, relaxed, tired and being warmed by a nice warm fire. Well, that is how I hear the song anyway, what you hear in it may be something completely different.

I know that when it comes to a band like Pink Floyd everybody is going to have a song they like over another, which is fair, my favourite Pink Floyd song is "The Great Gig in the Sky", but I personally think that "Time" should be recognized as on of those masterpiece songs alongside "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "More Than a Feeling".

I'm the Entity of Darkness, and time may be a strange thing, but even it can't make my Abominations part of this blog easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment