My Posts: Sort by Decade

Wednesday 11 January 2017

Auditory Abominations: "Hello Kitty" - Avril Lavigne

You know, sometimes a song is just so bad that even if you never thought you'd talk about it, it immediately jumps to your mind when the subject of terrible music comes up. I thought this was just going to be another dumb pop song that is simply just a generic thing that would be forgotten in time, but no this had to be one of the most obnoxious and annoying pieces of filth I have ever heard in my entire life.

I remember when Avril Lavigne was still a Pop-Punk princess with "Sk8er Boi" which was not a great song, but truth be told it's still on of my guilty pleasure songs, but then the alluring charm of the succubus of success is intoxicating to all mortals, also the pop-punk scene dying out doesn't help either.

You know how this song begins? with "Mina sako arigato, k-k-k-kawaii." I doubt she knows what any of that means. I think she put on a song called "Mr. Roboto" and found that the Japanese word they used was pretty neat so she took that word a put in this sentence. "Arigato"  or "Domo Arigato" is the Japanese way of saying "Thank you" and "Kawaii" is Japanese for "Cute". Aside from that I don't know myself, and Google Translate isn't helping this time. Then it goes into the teen pop style of "I'm an adult but I still make songs about being a teenager" like well, a lot of songs actually. Avril Lavigne was 29 when the album this song was on came out and she's talking about pillow fights and playing Truth or Dare, To give you some perspective Lorde is 20, and Adele is 28, neither of them have had either of those in their lyrics.

But lyrics are one thing, how is the musical aspect of this song? Terrible, the song is dubstep trying to pass itself off as a pop rock song. When I think of pop rock, I think "Beat It", "Jump", anything from Walk the Moon, you know music that fits in with either genre, this is not a rock song, it is a Pop-tronic song. Avril's voice is just, GAH! It's like if, actually no I can not do a comparison for this one, her voice is just annoying and awful, and a huge step down from her pop punk years.

The song is apparently about her love of the Hello Kitty brand and some sexual content... I thought I was finished this with "Afternoon Delight" explicit lyrics are not necessary but they oddly help. The rest of the song is highly childish, and it's really only the chorus that could remotely have any sexual content, "A.D.I.D.A.S." is a sexier song and that song's title means "All Day I Dream About Sex". Even if this isn't  a song with any sexual lyrics, it still has very little to grasp lyrically.

That really is this song's main issue, it's confused, obnoxious, and immature. In interviews she said that the song was supposed to be fun and had the glitchy feel to it, (paraphrasing a lot). But again, that is the problem, just because something is fun doesn't make it good, I find it fun to burn things, but I don't go around setting other people's possessions on fire because I am not crazy. Avril Lavigne needed to either make this song lyrically better, musically better or just scrapped it entirely.

I'm the Entity of Darkness, and I need an Ace Audio...

No comments:

Post a Comment