My Posts: Sort by Decade

Monday 26 September 2016

Auditory Abominations: "Someday" - Nickelback

Why did it take me this long to get to one of the most infamous bands in the world? Well barring the fact that this was one of the bands I just chose a song at random to review (Heads up there are plenty more ahead), I also don't think Nickelback is a bad band. I mean, I acknowledge they have flaws and bad songs, but I think a lot of bands have flaws and bad songs, and I think there are worse music artists than Nickelback. I'd much sooner go to a Nickelback concert than listen to Peter Cetera on record.

I originally wanted to talk about the song "Animals", but then I remembered my dislike for this and I decided to give it a listen to see if it is really as bad as I remember. The short answer is that yes, it is as bad as I remember it.

Have any of you heard "How You Remind Me"? the song that put Nickelback on the charts? I wouldn't say it's a terrible song but it kind of influenced them to the point where a few of their songs were majorly influenced by it, and when I say this is one of those songs, I mean the only difference is the lyrics. I hear that guitar and all I think is that it's a slightly faster version of "How You Remind Me" and how much I'd rather listen to that song.

The lyrics are alright until it gets to the chorus where Someday, Somehow he'll make it alright, but not right now, which is the biggest cop-out in a relationship aside from "I feel just too close to love you", oh I'll get to that one.

To me Nickelback is at their best when they embrace the hard rock sound that they don't actually suck at, I mean I like "Photograph", but it is mostly just because I have a soft spot for songs like it. I mean, "Side of a Bullet" and "Edge of a Revolution" aren't terrible songs and when you compare them to songs like "Far Away" sure they won't be pop chart successful, but "Far Away" is a terribly dull song that isn't helped by Chad Kroeger's sandpaper voice.

And honestly, Chad Kroeger is not the worst thing about this song. His voice sounds alright with the song and the matches the instrumentals, which is fine because it worked in that other song which I'm sure you're all tired of me comparing it to.

Nickelback may not be a band I dislike, but I still acknowledge they have bad songs, and this is just one of them. It doesn't even hide the fact that it "takes influence" from their first major hit, the lyrics are bad and the song itself is flavourless, even the most vile songs ever have some flavour to them, this has nothing.

I'm the Entity of Darkness and I'm done with abominations for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment