My Posts: Sort by Decade

Thursday 29 September 2016

Ace Audio: "Moth Into Flame" - Metallica

As much as I hate to say it, Metallica has not been doing well at all in the modern era. Fans have been thrashing (No pun intended) albums since Ride the Lightning, but after ...And Justice For All, it seems that very few fans are ever being pleased. Sure they released some good stuff here and there but many fans were flat out displeased with Load, Reload, and St. Anger and plenty of other things have not been very good on the band. After the entire Napster debate that killed off a good chunk of the band's fan base, it seemed like Metallica was doing nothing but going down hill. To give you some perspective, in 2013 Metallica released a movie called "Into the Never" which costed around $32 Million dollars to make, and it flopped hard, making back only $7 Million at the box office, despite good critical reception. What I'm saying is that Metallica was on a downhill, and whether you like St. Anger or not, we can agree it is nowhere near the quality of Metallica's older stuff like "Master of Puppets", "For Whom the Bell Tolls" and "One".

I say this because Metallica decided to release another album, and they have already released a few singles from it, the first one was alright, nothing to amazing, but good. This one is however a much better sounding song.

The opening instrumentals definitely have a Metallica sound to them sounding like "Master of Puppets" but I think that the similar sound is very welcomed here. Really the song just sounds like the Metallica many fans wanted during St. Anger, and I feel like this song can easily fit alongside "Master of Puppets" and "Battery".

I also got to say, the instrumentals are awesome, especially that guitar solo. Hot damn I haven't heard a good guitar solo from Metallica in a while, and James Hetfield's vocals still have the power of the older days.

This is the newest release from their upcoming album, and if the rest of the album has awesome songs like this, I really think Metallica is going in the right direction. I do think this is also better than the previous released track "Hardwired" which to me sounded a bit more like Megadeth. After almost a decade of displeasing fans, Metallica could have and quite honestly should have thrown in the towel after "Through the Never", but they kept pushing and this is the kind of stuff you can get if you keep pushing. I have high hopes for the album when it comes out, I may not get it on release, but I will get it eventually.

Sorry this review came off a bit short, but I really wanted to talk about this song. I wanted to talk about how Metallica are heading in the right direction. Because this song is so recent, I really didn't have a whole lot to say about it, and this also took the place of another review that I was planning on doing. Considering my last Ace Audio, this is kind of fitting as well, and honestly, I think now I can forgive "St. Anger".

I'm the Entity of Darkness, and keep moving, whether it is forward, backward or sideways, just keep moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment