My Posts: Sort by Decade

Tuesday 1 November 2016

Ace Audio: "Swimming Pools (Drank) - Kendrick Lamar

I don't think it's going to surprise anyone that I'm not a huge fan of the modern rap and hip-hop scene. I understand the appeal of most of it, not all of it, but the genre is not really for me which is kind of ironic when you consider that rock and rap are not that dissimilar to each other. Of course as someone who loves music I am of course going to have to listen to some rap and there is a lot of it I enjoy, I enjoy 2Pac and Biggie and The Beastie Boys, but my favourite rap song has got to be this one.

Knowing my dislike towards the mainstream pop hits of the 2010s, especially in 2012 it's kind of surprising that this would be my favourite rap song, but it is, even taking into account rap-rock songs like "Walk This Way" and "Renegades of Funk".

The opening bit is really cool, sounding like a peaceful dream of floating on water. The muted sounds also give a bit of a contrast to it all, sounding almost haunting. It's kind of like something that would begin a psychedelic song from Jefferson Airplane or Pink Floyd. The beginning vocals sound very auto-tuned, but I think it's more an effect that kind of pushes forth the theme of the song.

The song is kind of looking back on Kendrick's life with the opening lyrics stating he grew up with an alcoholic and then going on to discuss why people drink, stating that some like the feeling of drinking their cares away and others think that it makes them fit in more. This also adds to his own issues, which leads to the chorus.

I really love the chorus, just thinking about the image of a swimming pool full of liquor can bring to me so many questions. I can't really add more to it other than the fact that I like the sounds of the chorus and the vocals, even though they sound auto-tuned.

The second verse is different from the first as it is Kendrick's consciousness speaking to him and him worrying about drowning in some poison, which can be a metaphor for many things, the booze, depression, stress, fear, peer pressure, all sorts of things.

The final verse is spoken almost in whispers, it gives it a kind of bleak sound, like there is no turning back to any thing. The song is kind of dark as it quickly de-escalates into a darker side than it began.

It is this kind of theme and tone that makes a song stand out from the other pop hits of the 2010s such as previously reviewed songs such as "Call Me Maybe" and "Starships" which are more generic upbeat happy songs that just blend together.

I'm the Entity of Darkness, and next time something I should have tackled sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment