My Posts: Sort by Decade

Sunday 20 November 2016

Auditory Abominations: "Come and Get It" - Selena Gomez

I know I said I wanted to take the blog out of the 2010s but I could not resist doing this song because it is quite possibly the worst song of 2013, actually that is not true, as I would personally say "Love Me" by Lil Wayne is a worse song. Yeah, when I say that the 2010s are a great decade for music, I mean it in a sense that a lot of the good stuff is really good, same with the 70s and 80s, the top two greatest decades for music, unrivaled at this point in time. However, that does not mean this decade is devoid of crap, like say the 1970s, I mean that decade had "If You Leave Me Now", "Afternoon Delight", "The Way We Were", and the horror of any music fan, "Disco Duck". Yeah the 70s had a load of crap, and if we got into the 80s, well that could be a whole top fifty. The point is, no decade is immune from having crap, so what really makes this decade special? It seems like the crap from this decade is torn apart even worse than the crap from previous decades, I mean what really is the difference between a lame and boring soft rock song of the 70s and a generic and boring electro-pop dance song of the 2010s? The short answer, the genre and that is it.

However, does the decade have worse music? Well, yes and no, I will say that the worst songs of the 1970s are immensely more listenable than the worst songs of this decade, but the worst of the 70s are just kind of boring which makes them unlistenable in there own right, and I can say what I want about a song like this, but it sure ain't boring, or easily forgettable. Pop music today has become somewhat of an earworm, which to some means the same thing as catchy, but there is a difference, namely that a catchy song is something you hum once or twice during the month instead of the entire day for a week like an earworm. A catchy song like "Wild Child" may pop into your head at really inconvenient times, but not anywhere near as often as an obnoxious earworm like this.

The first sign of the total earworm levels of the song start right from the electro-pop beat, which is to say it has no real beat or rhythm. A five year old banging on pots and pans has better rhythm than whoever assembled the beat to this. It quite frankly sounds like a dentist drill going off in your ear, which is reason enough to have it feature on this blog, but it goes an extra mile. If you thought "I Knew You Were Trouble" had a simple chorus, you will be begging to have a chorus like that after this. It follows the great logic of songs like "All The Small Things", "She Hates Me", "Lovin' You" and the theme song to The Brothers Flub and does not even trying to have lyrics. After the one verse in the entire chorus it just goes into going "Na na na na" because apparently sodium is the most popular of all the elements.

I want to also note the odd intro to the music video as it seems like it's building up this massive operatic song or heavy metal anthem or something that would require the lightning, eagle and "Whooh" sound effects. Then the weird bit with the drumming and chanting that sounds out of place with the rest of the song.

Selena herself does not do this song any favours. She does not sound as invested in singing the song as someone like Lorde, Lady Gaga or even Miley Cyrus, yeah Miley Cyrus sounds more interested in singing than Selena Gomez does. You can pretty much get all the substance you can from the song by the first stanza as well, all though being fair, I find that is the same with most songs about sex.

The song also has a lot of repetition of syllables and verses and a couple echo effects. I can only assume that it is either to make the song sound more artsy, which most likely isn't because this is pop music, or just for the sake of effects, which I've complained about before.

The actual lyrics are not too bad, they do get the point of the song across, although they are not helped at all by that drum machine that is set to "Generic". Also, I really have to ask, who does this song appeal to? the song uses that "Speak to vague person" cliché that boybands use to get the attention of pre-teen girls, so if this appeals to girls, why? I doubt it's because of the "Vague person" cliché, and I know for certain that this is not a dance song nor a sexy song. I can't think of any reason this would appeal to anybody.

Also the Music Video sucks, not really important, just want to mention that the music video sucks.

I don't want to make it look as though this entire decade is crap, it really is not as we have got a lot of great stuff from this decade, "Swimming Pools (Drank)", "Locked Out of Heaven", "Chlorine and Wine", Disturbed's cover of "Sound of Silence", "Upside Down, Inside Out", this is an amazing decade for music, but so was the 1970s and there was still a large amount of shovel ware in that decade. It's the same with every decade, there is always the stuff that is just crap, this and the other stuff from the 2010s I've done an Auditory Abomination are examples of that, but there is still a lot of really good stuff out there, just dig a bit deeper.

I'm the Entity of Darkness, and I think I'll just do more songs I should have done at the start of this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment