My Posts: Sort by Decade

Tuesday 22 November 2016

Auditory Abominations: "Untitled" - Simple Plan

When you think of rock in the 2000s what do you think? Gorillaz, The White Stripes, Modest Mouse, Arcade Fire and The Killers. But the 2000s was also the decade that rock got whiney with groups like My Chemical Romance, Linkin Park, Hinder and Simple Plan, because this was the decade teenage angst made good song tones. Not that every whiney group was bad, My Chemical Romance has some good songs, Linkin Park was an awesome band, and some of the modern rock today like Imagine Dragons aren't too bad. The reason that a whiny song like this is bad is simple, it sounds awful.

The opening piano is alright, an easily spotted emotional ploy to get you into the mood of a depressing song, but not too bad. The orchestral backing though is a bit generic, it just sounds like the exact same orchestral backing that accompanies every other sappy and or depressing song from the late 1990s up to now.

Of course in the same vein of Linkin Park and My Chemical Romance, the vocalist is as nasally as, oh boy I need to stop picking on Bob Dylan, so uhh.... Arlo Guthrie I guess, my Dad suggested that one. The lyrics include the obvious "I was blind" line to make the situation sappier or more depressing, as well as the "I can't remember" line, and the "I can't stand the pain" line. All of these generic lines were in the opening, giving you an idea of what we are in for with this particular song.

But the song really becomes an abomination with the chorus. The whiny sing-yelling of "How could this happen to me?" is just unbearable. It's like listening to Twenty One Pilots after they were kicked in their crotches and had stuffy noses. It also has some generic lines, the "I'm fading away" line, the "How could this happen to me?" line, the "I've made my mistakes" line, it's all there.

And the song drones on for three whole minutes, with more generic lines like "Hanging by a thread", "I try to hold on to a time" and "I can't explain what happened". Not only are these generic lines, but also lines that have been written and sung better in different songs, these lyrics are as basic and generic as "The Reason".

The song is unbearable, it is highly annoying with basic lyrics, a singer who sounds like if SpongeBob ate the lead block under his hat, and obvious musical accompaniment that sounds more in tune with a soap opera than a depressing song about someone passing.

I'm the Entity of Darkness, and I think next time I'll do something a bit special.

No comments:

Post a Comment