My Posts: Sort by Decade

Saturday 22 April 2017

Ace Audio: "The Good Doctor" - The Protomen


Hey, I never said all the odd stuff was bad, did I? Also, a joyous noise because this is the first song from 2009 that I'm covering on Ace Audio!

So what exactly is this? Well, this is a song from the album Act II - The Father of Death, a rock opera inspired by Mega Man, you read that right, inspired by Mega Man. So if you think that this is going to be some nerdy techno rock song, than think again because these guys know what they're doing.

The first sound of this song is actually a western style guitar sound. You know, lots of western themed movies and games use this kind of sound, you can hear something similar to it in the game Red Steel 2. It continues to go on with slow guitar and heavy bass, and it just sounds beautiful. The drums kick in around the twenty second mark, but stay for a short bit. It's a bit distracting, but not too much so.

As I said, the album is based on the Mega Man series of video games, and makes it a rock opera, not to dissimilar to Tommy. This song is basically the catalyst for the series. For those who don't know, Mega Man is about a robot (Aptly named Rock, and titled Mega Man), who fights the other robots from Dr. Albert Wily, with help from his creator Dr. Thomas Light. Wily and Light were originally colleagues and this song focuses on that aspect, and also why the robots were created in the first place. It's show cased beautifully in the opening lyric. "My father worked the mines until the day it took his life/It stole him from his only son, and it stole him from his wife." this is Thomas Light's first verse and it suddenly gives things a perspective.

The third verse is also really good, and it really does show Tom's side of the situation. "They've waited so long for this day/Someone to take the death away/No son would ever have to say/"My father worked into his grave"." The drums really kick in around this point and have a kind of military beat to them, which I think compliments the rest of the instrumentals.

Next is Albert's verse, and gives a good metaphor "If you replace the working parts, you get a different machine" which could mean many things, even in the context of the song.

Since I talked about these verses separately, I think I should talk about the vocalists. The first one playing the part of Dr. Light is very heavy and it works well, Dr. Wily's singer is a bit off for what I would consider his voice to be, but the singer isn't bad at all, and it does create a nice contrast between the two.

The instrumentals are also nice, and not just the drums and guitars, but also the horns, yes horns. They have horns in this song and they just add something right, I don't know but they just add to the song. It's really nice.

Light continues the song with probably my favourite lyrics of the song. "I never said that men should bow. I never said that men should break."

I also like how the lyrics give Light some good motive and they really make us side and sympathize with him. I don't want to give away all the lyrics to this song, but then again you always have the chance to listen to it. Speaking of the lyrics, if you do look up the lyrics to this song, you'll also get descriptions of what goes on before the verse. I also like the conversations that the two have. Debating about human nature, what the robots would be used for, and ethics.

Overall, I think that this is an amazing song and shows a lot of promise for the album. The instrumentals, lyrics and story all work beautifully and create a unique song, the likes of which I haven't ever head in any song before, not even in the rock scene. Would you guys believe that this album and it's previous one have yet to be reviewed by major reviewers and have still gained a bit of a cult following? Well, if I ever find a copy of either album, I'm going to buy them. This song was just to good to pass up.

I'm the Entity of Darkness, and rock on my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment