My Posts: Sort by Decade

Sunday 5 March 2017

Auditory Abominations: "Break Stuff" - Limp Bizkit


Is it too late to start regretting?

I know it might be a moot point to say that Limp Bizkit is not a good band, but this is about analyzing what makes a song bad and what to avoid when making music. Maybe I should include a what-we-learned portion for these blogs, I guess that would mostly consist of don't drone on, don't be utterly pointless and don't be a cover that misses the point.

Anyway, Nu Metal is kind of a genre that has two separate parts to it, on the first side are groups like Korn and Slipknot who are definitely more metal centric than the other part, which include groups like Linkin Park and Rage Against the Machine, who are more rap centric. I think it is unfair to lump both sides together as one genre because they really are different, although mirror on each other a lot. It's like difference between Pop-tronic and EDM, they are in the same boat, but are still different genres. The whole Nu Metal and Rap Metal craze began with groups like Korn and Rage Against the Machine, but it really took off after Limp Bizkit entered the scene, spawning off goups like P.O.D. and the like.

Some people would say that this band started off good, and then became utter shite, but personally I think they were hit or miss to begin with, I mean I don't hate "Nookie", is it a great song? No, but at the same time it isn't awful. I can see why people like that song at the very least, and from the opening guitar riff, I can see why people would like this song. Then, Fred Durst begins rapping, which sounds as if you castrated Eminem. Also something I'm noticing quick is that, the vocal track and the instrumental track don't really connect properly. By that I mean, they sound as though they were just thrown together from completely different songs.

The instrumentals are actually pretty good, as in really good, like I could hear some of this on legitimate metal tracks, Alt. Metal for sure, but still metal. The guitar just hits that right spot and sounds great, and those drums keep nice rhythm. With a different song, these instrumentals could work nicely.

However, one bad apple can spoil the whole patch, and in this case that rotten, squishy apple that you don't understand how it got into the bin and made you have to toss away some potentially good apples, is Fred Durst.

However, the consistent swearing isn't helping, I listen to all this music on YouTube, because why would I want to buy a song I don't like? The problem with that is, often times the channels, for some reason, censor a lot of swearing in songs, which in some cases really hurts the song such as in "Killing in the Name", and I'll get to the censored version of the song "F*ck You" eventually. I understand radio edits, but why YouTube? I literally heard the AVGN drop the C word once and that remains uncensored. These censors are really noticeable and stick out like a sore thumb. Sorry, just had to rant a bit.

Then we get the chorus, and by all things dark and mysterious, they managed to screw it up. How? By making it too repetitive and monotonous. It may not last long, but that doesn't matter when listening to it feels like the Wrath of Kahn. Except without the humorous screaming of his name.
DUUUUURRRRRSSSSSTT!!!!!

I tried, anyway, after the chorus we get some slower part that is sadly the only bit that actually feels as though the vocal track and instrumental track actually mix. It still sucks because it is just Fred Durst sing-speaking about, what else, calling somebody to a fight, or warning them to back-off. Although I will admit, the build-up is pretty nice, and then it actually becomes a half-way decent song. I'm serious, this part of the song should have been made into the whole song, I mean you can still have the awful rap verses, just ditch the chorus and make it this whole "Give me something to break" bit and this might have been a Meh level song.

Actually, the ending chorus isn't that bad either, although this one is mostly because of the instrumentals. Seriously, the instrumentals are really good, and it's a shame that they were wasted on a song like this. While there are good things about it, it does not stand on it's own.

I can see why people enjoy this song, and I'll even go so far to say that I even get why people like this song. However, I myself just can't get passed Fred's annoying voice, the repetitive chorus, the excessive swearing, even if it wasn't censored it would still be an issue, and how poorly the vocal track and instrumentals mesh together, the two are like oil and water.

Well, glad that this nightmare is over, let's see what's next. How did this Banana get into my pocket?

No comments:

Post a Comment