My Posts: Sort by Decade

Wednesday 15 February 2017

Auditory Abominations: "Tonight, Tonight" - Hot Chelle Rae


Although I love this decade for music, I must admit there is a yin-yang happening. Since a lot of the good stuff is amazing, many of the duds and failures are much more noticeable. This is nowhere more apparent than the pop scene of the 2010s. Sure, we had plenty of good songs from the 2010s, but that doesn't excuse the massive amount of crap we also get, and although I've covered more good songs from this decade on Ace Audio, that doesn't mean that the majority of songs from the decade are good, although that probably is the case but to contrast, Hot Chelle Rae.

you know, the early 2010s were not a bad year for putting a rock song or two on the chart, I mean sure they don't sound as rock as Led Zeppelin, but by that logic Aerosmith isn't a rock band then. The decade had plenty of good rock songs on the charts including "It's Time", ""Pumped Up Kicks" and "Animal", but there is always a dud here and there, and I'm looking at one of them right now, joy bunnies.

This is one of those songs that pretty much just throws you into the water, kind of like "Basket Case", so there is no instrumental build-up to anything and the song just starts. The opening beat follows the frontman's delivery and it, works I guess but the instrumentals don't sound that great. You know how in some songs I complained about a sound where it could be one instrument making but it sounds like another? Well, this song has that problem too, I really don't like it when songs do this, mostly because I like picking out what the instruments are, is this a bass or a keyboard, or a guitar? I have no clue, and it also doesn't help that the beat is just "daa-daa-DA" in the opening. So how does frontman Ryan Follesé sound? The sound of his voice is hard to nail down, it is nasally but not too much. I don't know, but it sounds Meh, I guess.

The opening lyrics describe how the frontman's week has been, "Seven days of torture, seven days of bitter," So, did he spend seven days in a torture dungeon with the world's worst British pub? I know he most likely means his job sucks, but there really is nothing to go off of. You may as well say, "My week sucked, I did seven days of crap." Then of course, we get the perfect lyrics of any song "La la la, whatever, la la la" That isn't even lazy writing, that's just last second writing.

The chorus kicks in and suddenly Ryan's voice sounds auto tuned, it probably isn't because I've heard some bad auto-tune, but it sounds like it. The chorus also tries to make the song sound like a party song, except it sounds like one of the lamest parties ever. I mean even if "Dancing on the edge of the Hollywood sign" sounds awesome, there is no passion behind singing it, so instead of a wild and crazy party with people jumping around and having a good time, I imagine a party where the most dancing you do is like shaking your hips as you move your arms and legs in a circular motion, the dance people do when they don't know how to actually dance.

We also get one of the strangest lyrics I have ever heard, and considering I looked at "Afternoon Delight" previously, that's saying something.
the line is "I woke up with a strange tattoo/ Not sure how I got it, not a dollar in my pocket/ And it kinda looks just like you/ Mixed with Zach Galifianakis." I don't even know what to make of it, it's just so odd.

The chorus also drives me up the wall. It's just so, annoying. I mean, the vocal work mixed with the instrumentals, I can barely even tolerate it, and it's the majority of the song. The song is three minutes and SERIOUSLY! Three minutes and you couldn't write more than a piss poor chorus?

This song is crap, the lyrics suck, the chorus is annoying, the instrumentals blow, the frontman has no passion behind his voice, how this song became a hit I have no goddamn clue. I'm the Entity of Darkness, what's next? Another trip to the 80's alright fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment