My Posts: Sort by Decade

Monday 20 February 2017

Auditory Abominations: "Heart of Fire" - Black Veil Brides


I wanted a good song from you guys, and what I got was Skillet.

I like the Black Veil Brides, they have made some great songs like "Perfect Weapon" and "Knives and Pens", but even they were not immune to making a really crap song.

I could tell by the opening riff that this song was going to suck, it's Skillet light, I never thought I'd ever see the day I'd ever have to admit that Skillet is a heavier band than this, and these were the guys who gave us "Knives and Pens", not exactly heavy metal, but still a good song. Hell, the band never struggled with riffs before, especially considering "Perfect Weapon". I swear I could hear this riff from Fall Out Boy, hey at least then we could get something good from them.

Although I can't say that Andy Biersack is an awful singer, on this track he doesn't really sound audible, almost like he's mumbling. Seriously, without looking up the lyrics like I normally do, the only thing I even heard in the opening line was "broken bones", and I get that many bands become much more audible after you learn the lyrics, such as Cradle of Filth, but the Black Veil Brides never really had a problem with that. "Rebel Love Song" is clear in it's vocals, as is "Fallen Angels", this is not. Also, Andy does kind of fall into the trap of being one of those gruff singers that was popular in the 2000s, but he does have a bit of a distinct voice, so I can give it a pass.

The drums are a bit annoying, actually it's mostly just this one drum hit that repeats over and over again, I believe it's a snare, but I could be wrong. It's quite like the each consecutive beat in "Call on Me", it just becomes grating and annoys me a lot, and if only that was the biggest problem to this song.

Remember the Skillet comparison I made earlier? At least one of them? Really, it sounds like Slipknot doing a new song in the style of Skillet, before realising that doing so would be a bad idea and went back to actually recording good music.

The chorus especially gets to me. Andy's voice becomes much more nasally and somehow the song becomes somewhat faster, but doesn't actually change at all, is it me or is that actually the case? And before I forget, let's talk about the lyrics, being honest, they aren't bad. Although, I can't honestly tell if this is a break-up song or a song that is calling somebody to a fight, the chorus makes me point to the former but the actual verses make me think the latter.

After the second chorus, I feel like we could get a really good solo here, but instead we get the same instrumentals underneath Andy moaning, followed by a brief solo that is just alright, but even then it's covered over by more moaning, seriously why?

I don't like this song, considering I actually like the Black Veil Brides I was expecting something better. The song sounds generic, the vocals are messy, the instrumentals are bland, I don't think I recommend this song to anybody. Black Veil Brides fans, if you got into them from their older stuff you are going to be disappointed, and if this is how newer fans are getting introduced, I think they should listen to a song like "The Legacy" instead.

I'm the Entity of Darkness and since we're on the subject of gothic music...

No comments:

Post a Comment