My Posts: Sort by Decade

Tuesday 20 December 2016

Ace Audio: "Road of Resistance" - BABYMETAL

No, I'm not joking, this is a really good song. No, you weren't in a coma that skipped Christmas and went straight to April Fool's Day, or at least not that I know of.

I know people are split on BABYMETAL, but I personally don't mind them, sure not every song is great, but if that was the deciding factor of liking or disliking a band, I think I'd hate every band in the world. Really, they are just a Japanese pop-metal group, not to dissimilar to a band like Def Leppard or KISS, although those bands are better than BABYMETAL. I think what people should remember about the band is that they are both a pop and metal group, and are afraid of being neither. Some songs are more pop than metal, some are more metal and some are both. This song is more of the middle one.

Really, this song sounds like the intro to an epic anime, something like Naruto or Bleach, or maybe even Rurouni Kenshin, lord knows we need something better than it's English theme song (Link). This is because of the instrumentals, the instrumentals on this song are super good. That is something I must admit about any Babymetal song, the instrumentals are usually really good. However, the reason this particular song sounds so good is because of one reason, or two actually, Herman Li and Sam Totman of DragonForce. That's right, DragonForce. It's really the instrumentals that drive this track.

The lyrics are supposed to be positive, but I don't speak fluent Japanese, I mean I speak a little bit, kind of. I know "Old Macdonald Had a Farm", well, I can only say "Old Macdonald had a farm, and on that farm he had a crow", damn I really should have paid attention in Japanese class.

Well, I'm not expecting System of a Down or Led Zeppelin levels of lyrical content, but even if the lyrics are not very good, (Which again, sorry but can't tell) the vocal performance is also pretty solid, say what you want about the group, but they are decent vocalists and have good musicians behind them.

You can see how this became the opening track off of Metal Resistance, which I did a review of here. That is however, the album's biggest weakness, as it starts with its best song, not that the album is bad, but there is no real pay-off for going through the entire thing.

You know, overall this is an awesome song, The vocal work, the instrumentals and the technical are all solid. If you aren't into pop metal, you won't find a whole lot to enjoy about this song, but I say, give it a chance, you may like it.

I'm the Entity of Darkness, and I think I'll try to post one more thing this year. If I don't, Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment