My Posts: Sort by Decade

Monday 3 July 2017

Auditory Abominations: "Get Up and Boogie" / "Fly, Robin, Fly" - The Silver Convention

Well, the Ace Audio mini-marathon was fun, now it's time to go back to the awful stuff. You know how I said that the 1970s was the best decade for music? Well, there was a lot of crap in that decade as well, and quite honestly, I think these are two of the worst songs of the 1970s.

Now, normally if I did a blog where I reviewed multiple songs than I would go over the songs one after the other. However, that is not really possible here, not because the songs are the exact same, but they are Abominations for the exact same reason, and that is their lyrics.

I have said before that dance songs don't need the strongest lyrics, nor do they need any lyrics, but even then the lyrics can still completely ruin a song, whether they are repetitious, make no sense or are just not good lyrics. These songs have a new problem, they are too minimal, each song uses six words each and repeats them ad nausea.

But, this issue affects each song differently, so I may as well go into each song on it's own. I'll start with "Fly, Robin, Fly" because it is the better of those two.


This song begins with cymbal tapping, bass and piano. What do you expect, this is a disco tune, and although these instrumentals aren't awful, they are nothing special either, they aren't even that good for dancing. Compare this to something by the Bee Gees, now say what you want about the Bee Gees, but the instrumentals in their music has some funk to it, it's upbeat and easy to dance to. I know I keep talking about this, how songs are not easy to dance to, but that is a large problem because if the song itself is crap, and you can't dance to it, then what good is it?

But how does the lyrical problem effect this song? Well, it mostly just makes the song really boring. Even though they keep repeating the same phrase over and over again, it does not make this song sound any more exciting. I don't even know if this is supposed to be an empowerment anthem, I mean it would make sense, but with this lazy writing, it might be the worst empowerment anthem I've ever heard.

But now let's get to the worse of the two, "Get Up and Boogie", wow, that's a word that immediately dates this song. Let's add "Boogie" to the list of words that need to come back, alongside "Groovy", "Gnarly" and other surfer lingo.


So this one is obviously supposed to be a dance song, and it is one of the worst I've ever heard. Although the instrumentals are better in this song, as they actually sound like something I can dance too, not that I'd want to, it's two things that really kill this song.

The first thing is the vocals, I know live recordings sound different from studio ones, but seriously, these ladies sound like they themselves are bored with this song and are forcing any enthusiasm to make this song just a smidgen more interesting. They quite honestly had to try to make this song sound worse.

The other reason is song fails is, as you guessed, the lyrical content. Although, I will say that "Fly, Robin, Fly" actually sounds more complete. The lyrical content of this song sounds like they grabbed something off of ABBA's cutting room floor without reading it and questioning if the other seven-eighths of this song were necessary.

I've complained about songs that I didn't want to dance to, and I have said that usually, it's because of the instrumentals, but this is a rare case where it's actually the vocals and lyrics, because this song makes me want to turn it off and put on some classic rock and roll.

I stand by saying that the 70s were the best decade for music, it had practically everything from arena rock to singer-songwriter ballads to heavy metal to novelty hits. I'm not letting these songs ruin what makes the 1970s the best decade for music. These songs are minimal, boring and not really interesting at all. I personally don't care for them, it's songs like these that stain the reputation of past decades, remember the 70s gave us "More Than a Feeling" and "Stairway to Heaven", classic songs recognized by music lovers old and new, these songs however, I doubt many people truly remember these songs.

I'm the Entity of Darkness, and I think my next review is going to be much more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment